The Green Island Power Authority has initiated a pilot program recently where they are transitioning some of our old street lights over to new Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) heads when they need replacement. If all works as planned, more and more will be transitioned to the new lighting over time. Unfortunately, the expense to replace all of our lights at once would be too costly unless grant funding becomes available. LED lighting is much more energy efficient and uses the lowest energy consumption of any light product to date (resulting in decreased power cost to the Village).
There are many other benefits including:
- Less environmental concerns as they contain no mercury
- Work well in cold weather
- Instant start up, no warm-up time needed
- More durable (plastic as opposed to glass) and last as long or longer than present bulbs
- Light quality is equal to or greater than existing
Thank you to our hard working GIPA and DPW employees who have taken charge of this program and are shown above installing the latest street light head at George and Swan Streets.
Please let us know what you think and whether or not you notice a difference.