Fire Chief Robert Bourgeois is alerting all residents to the current New York State burn ban which will run through May 15th. Exceptions will be made for those that are cooking on a grill provided that the flame is no higher than 6” from the burner source and the cooking grill is equipped with an attached fire proof cover. All other fires are banned during this time. Chief Bourgeois stated, “We are at a very critical time over the next few weeks where the Spring conditions in place now with a dry atmosphere including low humidity and wind put us at the highest risk of fire. We need to do whatever we can to alleviate that risk, which is why I am emphasizing the ban on all outdoor fires.” Mayor Ellen McNulty-Ryan added, “Green Island is a community where many of the homes are located in close proximity to each other and the risk of fire from backyard burning during these dry times is too great to allow it to happen. I commend Chief Bourgeois for recognizing this and making the decision to reinforce the ban.” Bourgeois has also stated that even after May 15th he will extend this ban on burning during any period in the future in which the National Weather Service has issued a “Red Flag” fire advisory for Eastern Albany County. As always, in case of emergency dial 9-1-1 immediately. Other suggestions from Chief Bourgeois: 1. Those cooking should never leave the grill unattended. 2. Make sure the grill is a safe distance away from your home, deck railings or other structures that can ignite. 3. If the grill flame flares up, try to safely close the cover to smother the flame. 4. Have a source such as a fire extinguisher or baking soda ready to extinguish the grill in case it flares up and out of control (do not use water on a cooking fire). 5. Keep the garden hose ready and nearby in case a structure is accidently ignited while cooking (and call 9-1-1).
- November 15, 2017 – IDA Meeting
3:00 PM, IDA
- November 20, 2017 – GIPA Board Meeting
6:00 PM, GIPA Meetings
- November 20, 2017 – Planning Board Meeting
6:15 PM, Planning Board Meeting
- November 20, 2017 – Village Board Meeting
6:30 PM, Village Meetings
- November 15, 2017 – IDA Meeting
Police Dept. Telephone Numbers
EMERGENCY - 911
NON EMERGENCY – 765-2352
ANONYMOUS DRUG TIP LINE - 655-7971
INDIVIDUAL GIPD OFFICERS – 765-2351
2017 GIG Concert Schedule
Online PaymentsClick here to visit Continental Utility Solutions, Inc. (CUSI) software's CWP (Customer Web Portal).
Green Island Notification SystemIf you would like to be part of our Green Island notification and alert system you may obtain an enrollment form at the Village Office or Click here to download one. Completed forms can be returned to the Village Office or emailed to email@example.com. Examples include: emergency notifications, amber alerts, snow removal, street cleaning, service interruptions and community events.
Mayor’s Newsletter Archives
2017 Final Roll
Click here to download the 2017 Final Roll for the Village Green Island.
Green Island WeatherSunday 10/22 10%Partly CloudyPartly cloudy. Lows overnight in the low 50s.Monday 10/23 20%OvercastCloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 71F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.Tuesday 10/24 80%Chance of RainRain showers in the morning then becoming windy with thundershowers in the afternoon. High 72F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Locally heavy rainfall possible.Wednesday 10/25 50%Chance of RainOvercast with rain showers at times. High 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.